A re-usable grocery bag can really make an impact. They are estimated to:
- replace 2 paper bags or up to 4 plastic bags each time it is used.
- be used weekly for two years or more.
- replace up to 416 plastic bags over its entire lifetime.
Why should we be giving away re-usable grocery bags?
Even if your clients are not aware of the problem plastic bags are creating they soon will be and you will make them a leader in change.
From their manufacture to their disposal, bags have a bigger impact on our cities and our environment than many people think.
How many bags are being used?
No one really knows. Estimates for annual US usage range from 14 billion bags annually to over 300 billion bags. World wide estimates range in the trillions per year.
- A study at UC Berkeley estimated 14 billion plastic bags per year.
- The Wall Street Journal put the number at 100 billion a year in the US alone.
- The EPA has estimated that if you count all bags, sacks, and wraps, the number may be as high as 380 billion.
- Some world wide estimates place the number of plastic bags used annually at a trillion bags a year-that’s about a million per minute!
But others say that 3-4 trillion plastic bags are produced each year.
Why is it so hard to estimate the number of plastic bags used?
Perhaps it is because no one wants you to know, and also perhaps because we ourselves don’t want to think about it. Manufacturers don’t want to be associated with the problems these bags cause. Stores and even consumers are embarrassed about their own bag usage. Yet, stores and consumers continue to use them daily.
There are many web sites where you can shop for re-usable grocery bags, but here are a few that you might want to start with.
If you enjoyed this article and don’t want to miss the next one click here to get my marketing posts by email as soon as they are published. You will be prompted for an email address and you are set to go.